This creamy North-Indian masala uses many mushrooms and spices – it may just become your favorite comfort food. Enjoy this dish with basmati rice and naan. Some spices may not be available in your standard grocery store. For Colorado Springs residents I recommend visiting Indu’s Spice Market for affordable prices and friendly service.
Recipe by Dassana Amit. Photo courtesy of Tayler Jones.
For Tomato-Cashew Paste
- 3 medium to large tomatoes
- 15 to 17 cashews
- 1 lb mix of Gray Oyster, Golden Oyster, and Chestnut mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger + 2 to 3 garlic cloves, crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
- 3 T butter
- ⅛ t turmeric powder
- ½ t kashmiri red chili powder or deghi mirch
- ½ t coriander powder
- 1 cup water
- ¼ t garam masala powder
- ½ t dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 2 to 3 T low fat cream or 2 tablespoon whipping cream
- ¼ to ½ t sugar to taste
- 1 to 2 T Microvora cilantro and red shiso microgreens for garnish
- ½ t cumin seeds
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 1 to 2 single strands of mace
- Boil enough water to submerge tomatoes and cashews
- Pour boiling water in bowl and add 3 medium to large tomatoes and 15 to 17 cashews. Cover and keep aside for both the tomatoes and cashews to blanch for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile you can slice mushrooms and chop the onions.
- After 20 minutes, drain the water from the bowl with tomatoes and cashews. If the tomatoes are hot, let them become warm. If you want, you can peel the skin also.
- Without adding any water, grind tomatoes and cashews in a blender to a smooth paste.
Making Mushroom Makhani
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in a pan.
- Add the following spices – ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1 tej patta/indian bay leaf, ½ inch cinnamon, 2 green cardamoms, 2 cloves and 1 to 2 single strands of mace.
- Saute till the spices are fragrant. Then add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste. Stir and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- Add 1/3 cup finely chopped onion. Stir very well and saute till they become translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms.
- Begin to saute the mushrooms on a medium to high heat till all the liquid is evaporated and the mushrooms look glossy. There should be no water in the pan. A light browning of the mushrooms is fine.
- Then stir in 1/8 tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp coriander powder and ½ kashmiri red chili powder or deghi mirch.
- Add the ground tomato and cashew paste. Mix well.
- Saute this mixture on low to medium heat, for 7 to 8 minutes or till it thickens and reduces.
- Stir in 1 cup water.
- Let the gravy simmer for 7 to 8 minutes on low heat.
- Season with salt to taste. Then add ¼ to ½ tsp sugar to taste. Stir well.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsp low fat cream, ¼ tsp garam masala powder and ½ tsp kasuri methi, crushed (dry fenugreek leaves).
- Stir very well and switch off the flame.
- Lastly add ½ inch ginger, julienne or cut into thin strips.
- Garnish with Microvora cilantro and red shiso microgreens