This simple recipe makes for a great appetizer, party snack, or light meal. We chose to pair ours with a salad embellished with Microvora’s Premium Salad Mix and homemade creamy tomatillo sauce. This recipe yields 12 cakes and is easy to make vegan.
- 1 pound Lion’s Mane mushroom
- 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 T Greek yogurt or mayonaise
- 1 cup organic bread crumbs
- 1 egg (you can easily make this recipe vegan by replacing this with a “flaxseed” egg)
- 2-3 T fresh chopped parsley
- Lime juice from 1/4 lime
- 3-4 T coconut oil (or alternative) for cooking the cakes
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees while you shred the Lion’s Mane onto baking tray. You will find that the mushroom is easy to pull apart using your fingertips.
2. Toss the shredded Lion’s Mane in olive oil and roast in oven for 30-40 mins. Turn halfway through. The mushroom will shrink substantially as the water cooks out.
3. In a separate bowl mix together the egg, Greek yogurt, lime, chopped parsley, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Use a whisk to evenly mix the wet ingredients.
4. Add breadcrumbs and mushroom to your wet ingredients
5. Use an ice cream scoop or tablespoon (depending on the desired size of the crab cakes) to measure equal portions of crab cakes. With your hands, form into cakes.
6. Heat coconut oil in non-stick pan on medium heat and fry until lightly browned on both sides.
7. Finish with a touch of sea salt and lime juice